Monday, June 18, 2012

{The Crafts | Bookworm III - DIY Washi Tape Globe}



I'm linking this project with Braxton Life + Night Owl + Imprintalish + Jellibean Journals !
 

So projects for the upcoming Bookworm 2nd Birthday Party are well under weigh. I know you all saw the DIY desk project I completed and I knew I would have to track down a globe because what would a Bookworm party be without a globe?! So Friday was a thrifting day. I was able to run to Savers AND Goodwill and I'm so happy I made time for both because my haul was AMAZING! I was able to pick up TONS of vintage books, a globe, a utility lunch box, Melissa and Doug toys and much more. 

Anyway...I really liked the colors of the continents on this globe so it was SOLD in a heartbeat. I knew right away I would incorporate mint and pink tones on the base. This project was so quick and easy compared to the  three day desk project. I had this completed before end of the day on Friday and was beaming with pride. 

So first I cleaned this piece up a bit. THEN I had the mother of all ideas sneak into my brain. I wanted to add a fun pattern on the globe but wasn't sure how to accomplish this. I considered fabric {Liberty of London pattern} on the base but thought that might actually take away from the globe rather than add to it. I have a few rolls of washi tape and decided to give it a go. What's good about this tape is it is slightly opaque. Which is prefect in this case because it didn't hide the continent detail completely once added on the equator line.

Next I disassembled it all {sorry for the bad lighting of my evening project + the ugly blue tarp.}

Next I spray painted the mint colored parts {I used the professional Luiqitex spray paint again.} 



I then used the light pink {ballet slipper} spray paint from my desk project to transition from mint to a bright pink on the bottom.



Finally I made the base a bright pink to match the washi tape brilliance.



And the project is complete! Total project cost was around $20 but this was because I had to buy my mint and bright pink spray paint. Luckily I used my coupons and got the bright pink can for free. The thrifted globe was $9.99 which would have normally cost somewhere in the range of $35-$60 according to a quick Google shopping search. These paint supplies have ALREADY been used on a utility lunch box project. Stay tuned for the how to on that project that daddy even got involved with!!! I heart him!


Thanks for reading about this successful DIY project. Now you hunt those globes down and GIVE THEM SOME LOVE PEOPLE! You have to know that if you create a study area this fab for your own kidlets they are guaranteed to be scholarly boy + girl wonders! Haha!



And here is a sample of the globe in our bookworm + fake nerdy glasses photo shoot. How cute is this?! Special thanks to Flecky Fotography!








PS if you haven't already, be sure to follow us at hardinghappenings.com for more DIY projects and crafting tips!

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Clever!! I love the colors you used! Thanks for linking up! XO Courtney
http://www.baxtronlife.com

bridechilla said...

Thanks Courtney! I just linked back to your + Kim's blog. I'm new at the linking up thing. Sheesh! LOL!

Jelli said...

This looks really good! I love the colors you used to freshen it up a lot. Found you from Courtney's blog. Thanks for sharing your DIY!

bridechilla said...

Thanks Jelli! I'm following you now too! :)

Lish said...

What a unique project!!!I love the colors you used! Thanks so much for linking up :)
Lish @ Imprintalish

Kimberly @ A Night Owl said...

you already know this...but i LOVE it! i've been on the hunt for a globe (or 20)...i love a good upcycle!

xo,
Kimberly

bridechilla said...

Mucho mucho thanks ladies! I had a vision and it came out exactly how I wanted! I CAN NOT wait to get professional pics to really show this off. :)

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS